How to prepare an Index page
kaanu
2009-04-18 15:45:05 UTC
Hi, I am preparing a book (360 pages) in Indesign2. Time to time I add
or remove some pages. Is it possible to update automatically the page
number in the index page ?

for example : Let say, in index The Chocolate Cookies are shown at
page 96. I want to add 4 pages before 96, thus, The Chocolate Cookies
are not anymore in page 96 but in page 100. I want to see this change
in my Index page automatically .

Thank you
pdan
2009-04-21 21:27:01 UTC
Post by kaanu
Hi, I am preparing a book (360 pages) in Indesign2. Time to time I add
or remove some pages. Is it possible to update automatically the page
number in the index page ?
for example : Let say, in index The Chocolate Cookies are shown at
page 96. I want to add 4 pages before 96, thus, The Chocolate Cookies
are not anymore in page 96 but in page 100. I want to see this change
in my Index page automatically .
Thank you
It's not just possible, but almost a requisite for a document that large to
have an index or TOC dynamically update.
You will need to create and use a Paragraph Style on the Chocolate Cookies
first page somewhere, and preferably, this style will be the same for Hard
Candies, Licorice, etc. (Make it a Headline)
Go to your index page location; Select - Layout > Table of Contents. Include
the Paragraph Style used for Chocolate Cookies Headline. There are some more
options... Place the newly loaded cursor and viola, your Index is generated.
(It's actually a TOC, just define it as Index in the dialog)
After you move, insert, delete pages go to Layout > Update Table of
Contents.
Read the Help File, it will drive you batty. I just made a doc with a front
index and end of doc index, the latter sorted alphabetically
By the way, are you actually using InDesign2, pre CS, or InDesign CS2 which
is version 4?