Indd files not associated with Indesign
M***@adobeforums.com
2005-05-13 17:50:58 UTC
I recently installed the CS2 creative suite on my WinXP computer, and all my .indd files have blank icons (ie, not associated with Indesign). When I double click on any indd files, it brings up the standard unrecognized extension dialogue; I tried to use "select program from a list" to link it to the Indesign .exe, but that didn't work. It would let me navigate to the .exe folder but the program wouldn't show up on the menu so I could select it. I even tried to add .indd as a file type under the folder options menu, (the fact that .indd wasn't there is probably the problem to begin with) but that didn't work either. I've also tried setting .indd files to indesign through the preferences in Adobe Bridge, to no avail. My next course of action was to reinstall indesign, which I'd rather not do if there's a simpler solution. Note that this problem is only specific to indesign, all my photoshop and illustrator files work just file - when you double click them, the program opens. The actual .indd files are good, if you drag them to an open indesign they pop right up. What would cause my .indd files to be unregistered?
nutso fasst
2005-05-15 00:39:05 UTC
To create file associations for InDesign document and book files: open
Windows Explorer (in 'Programs\Accessories' in WinXP) and click 'Options' on
the menu bar. Click 'Folder Options'. Click the 'File types' tab. Scroll
down to find extensions 'INDB' and 'INDD'. Select one, click 'Change', and
find the InDesign application in the list. Do the same for the other.

As to why the associations weren't created during installation, 'tis a
mystery and a bit of a worry.

nf
nutso fasst
2005-05-15 16:38:09 UTC
Sorry, I replied without really comprehending your post. Clearly, .indd is
not in the Windows registry. You could add it using RegEdit under
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (the REG_SZ string should be "InDesign.Document").
However, there are at least three other InDesign file types besides .indd.
Simply adding a registry entry may not be a complete fix for a bad
installation.

Is it possible to install ID without having registry write privileges?
Suggest you look and see if InDesign is listed in 'Add/Remove Programs'.

nf
D***@adobeforums.com
2005-05-16 21:36:34 UTC
Having exactly the same problem after uninstalling InDesign 2, which was still on my system at the time I installed CS2. Still trying to work out how to fix.
J***@adobeforums.com
2005-05-16 22:42:09 UTC
Michael,
Open the Registry Editor (regedit.exe) and look for the following key and subkey:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.indd

The "(Default)" data in the right-hand pane should read "InDesign.Document" (but w/o the quotes). There should also be another subkey farther down the page:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InDesign.Document

and in the same area, about 20+ other subkeys beginning with "InDesign."

If only the first subkey above is missing, or incorrect, you can probably edit it as needed. But if the other stuff is also missing, then you'll probably need to do a re-install.
Dennis Gordon
2005-05-18 01:51:21 UTC
I've had the same problem with IDCS on my work computer. A few months ago, I
lost the file association, although InDesign files are recognized within
InDesign as documents. They have generic Windows icons, and any attempt to
re-establish the file association results in opening Distiller. I just have
learned to live with it for now since I'm due to upgrade my hardware as well
as to CS2 soon...