Shall I buy Indesign?
marjweir
2009-08-26 21:43:45 UTC
I want to publish a book with lots of pictures and significant text.
It will be about 130 pages including an index. Is InDesign the best
tool to use? Are there any drawbacks? I have all the text in MS Word
2007. Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Joe D
2009-08-27 00:28:40 UTC
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 17:43:45 -0400, marjweir wrote
(in article
Post by marjweir
I want to publish a book with lots of pictures and significant text.
It will be about 130 pages including an index. Is InDesign the best
tool to use? Are there any drawbacks? I have all the text in MS Word
2007. Thank you for any advice you can offer.
IMHO, despite the cost, you can't do better than InDesign for a project like
that.
Joe Dee from En Wye Cee
Waterspider
2009-08-30 21:00:58 UTC
Post by Joe D
(in article
Post by marjweir
I want to publish a book with lots of pictures and significant text.
It will be about 130 pages including an index. Is InDesign the best
tool to use? Are there any drawbacks? I have all the text in MS Word
2007. Thank you for any advice you can offer.
IMHO, despite the cost, you can't do better than InDesign for a project like
that.
I agree, but only if:

1. He is either familiar with the program or aware that it will take a bit
to learn it effectively;
2. Has decent graphic design skills;
3. Understands how to prepare a document for commercial printing;
4. The software will be used for more than this one project.

Otherwise, he's better off shipping the MS Word files to the printer and let
them set it up in InDesign or Quark.
Floor
2009-09-20 19:35:40 UTC
Post by marjweir
I want to publish a book with lots of pictures and significant text.
Just look for Scribus. It is free and rocks!
http://www.scribus.net/

Floor
Waterspider
2009-09-22 17:58:03 UTC
Post by Floor
Post by marjweir
I want to publish a book with lots of pictures and significant text.
Just look for Scribus. It is free and rocks!
http://www.scribus.net/
Floor
It rocks because it's free. Scribus is scant on dpt features and has
limited ability customize a document. More like a free version of MS Word
than InDesign.
TestUsername