Are Indesign files interchangeable between Macs and PCs without any hassle?
pfgpowell
2010-03-23 21:09:45 UTC
(I shall be posting this in the Windows version of this group as well
as other groups, so please no slagging off as I have had in the past
for cross-posting.)

Here at the newspaper I work for, we have transferred from working in
Quark Xpress on G4s to Indesign on PCs (they want to replace ageing
desktops and PCs are simply cheaper. False economy, I know, I am was
not consulted. The poor bloody infantry rarely is.)

Anyway, I am getting to grips with Indesign, in many ways a more
pleasant program than Quark and, more or less, getting the hang of a
Windows PC. Still don't like it much but needs must.

As part of this changeover, and in relation to the work I do, I have
agreed (for extra money) to prepare some of the pages at home and to
do this I am being given a works laptop with Windows Indesign
installed on it. (That I am being issued with a 13in laptop to work on
tabloid pages is farcical, but my suggestion that I would readily by
and use a 15.6in or 17in Windows laptop was knocked back because 'they
are not allowed to install company software on a private latptop'.
Fair enought, but...

At home I have a 1.67ghz Powerbook running Leopard and have been
looking for a secondhand version of Indesign for Mac, which doesn't
have to be the latest version as here at work (because of the page
content system we are using) we are not using the latest Indesign
version either.

My question: if I can get the Indesign for Mac, would I be safe in
building my pages on my Powerbook and then emailing (as they want me
to do) the files to work to be opened in Windows? Would there be any
conflicts? And the titchy 13in laptop they will be supplying will be
loaded with the stock images the pages I shall be working on. If files
are interchangeable between a Mac and a PC, will those stock images
also be available on both platforms with no harm done.

I must stress that my employer is a big newspaper and there is no
margin for error at all. I have to get it right from the off. Your
advice will be gratefull accepted.
Thane
2010-03-28 03:58:29 UTC
Post by pfgpowell
(I shall be posting this in the Windows version of this group as well
as other groups, so please no slagging off as I have had in the past
for cross-posting.)
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<snip>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As you might surmise, these newsgroups are no longer supported by Adobe.
They have, to the dismay of many, migrated them to the web
(forums.adobe.com). I just stopped by to see if there had been any
activity...

To address your question, I have had no problems migrating between operating
systems. Indeed, both the systems and the programs are so similar as to be a
non-issue. InDesign files transfer easily so long as you keep in mind that
Type 1 fonts are best avoided as their formats differ for Mac and PC. Open
Type & TrueType present no problems.

Be sure to use the same version of ID on both machines. And if you are
buying a "secondhand" version, be sure the license is valid for transfer in
order to activate the program through Adobe. I suggest you avoid EBay and
the like.
JasonSpr
2010-03-30 16:11:44 UTC
Post by Thane
Post by pfgpowell
[...]
You can export old InDesigns and an InDesign Interchange (.inx) do
ease using multiple platforms. Fonts will be missing inevitably when
you go crossplatform - just replace them using Find Font and you
should be good to go.