Facing master pages: Link left an right side?
d***@googlemail.com
2009-05-11 14:29:25 UTC

I created a document with facing pages and a master page with 2 pages.
On the left side a graphic placed near to the left margin, on the
right one a grapghic frame (a copy) is placed next to the right
margin. Is it possible to link the graphic frame on the left side with
one on the right side of the master page, so that InDesign moves the
image to the right place when a left page becomes a right page by
adding a new page before?

Drake
j***@obdcreative.com
2009-05-12 19:31:23 UTC
Post by d***@googlemail.com
Hi,
I created a document with facing pages and a master page with 2 pages.
On the left side a graphic placed near to the left margin, on the
right one a grapghic frame (a copy) is placed next to the right
margin. Is it possible to link the graphic frame on the left side with
one on the right side of the master page, so that InDesign moves the
image to the right place when a left page becomes a right page by
adding a new page before?
Drake
hi drake, what you want is to place an item relative to the spine.
this is possible with an "anchored object" inserted via the "object"
menu. in the insertion dialog box, there is an option to align it
relative to spine. you may need to play with settings a bit, but i
believe that should solve your problem. i hope it would work equally
well for master page items. i haven't tested it for that situation,
but i believe it should work.
d***@googlemail.com
2009-05-13 20:12:08 UTC
Post by j***@obdcreative.com
hi drake, what you want is to place an item relative to the spine.
this is possible with an "anchored object" inserted via the "object"
menu. in the insertion dialog box, there is an option to align it
relative to spine. you may need to play with settings a bit, but i
believe that should solve your problem. i hope it would work equally
well for master page items. i haven't tested it for that situation,
but i believe it should work.
Thanks, I tested it: Your solution does the trick - but only for 1-
page master pages (I think InDesign does not allow the same object to
appear on two pages).
If I use a 1-page master-page I will get another problem: InDesign
does not move the content with the margin box when a left page becomes
a right page (or right => left). My page margin is asymmetrical - the
document will be printed as a book, so the inner margin is wider.
Is there a way to attach all content to the margin box so it moves
with the margin box?
j***@obdcreative.com
2009-05-14 14:47:45 UTC
ahhh, i see the issue, but frankly have no thoughts on how to have it
work automatically. i think you'll need two master pages and will
likely have to update the book after all pages have been finished.
without playing with it, cannot think of a way to automatically,
unless all items on the master page become aligned to the spine?